Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Best Resources for Investing Ideas

Hello everyone!

Hope you're all having a great week so far. One of the most common questions I get from people is whether I can recommend any good books or publications regarding finance and investing. I have a post coming up regarding my top recommended books (in the meantime, you can see a quick glance in the 'favorite books' tab). In this particular post I'll like to share the top three publications which I use for any one of the following reasons:


  • To get new investing ideas
  • To keep updated on any news related to stocks I already own
  • To find out whether stocks I own are in the right track (examine what they may or may not be doing to grow and remain competitive)
  • To keep informed and up to date about any new investing and personal finance developments as well as international news/happenings 


I believe the content in every single publication outlined below is perfect for individuals just getting started in finance and investing all the way to well experienced folks.

Anyways, without further 'ado, here are my top three favorites:


  1. Kiplinger Personal Finance magazine
  2. The Wall Street Journal
  3. Money Magazine

I came across Kiplinger personal finance about two years ago while browsing around the Barnes and Noble periodical section. I took a quick glance at the articles and decided to purchase the magazine. I pretty much read the entire thing in one sitting and have been hooked ever since! What I find so great about Kiplinger is that the articles are very quick and easy reads. I always find practical advice that I apply to my own financial life.





This is going to sound extremely nerdy but every time I am able to get my hands on a wall street journal I get a little bit too excited. The ironic thing is that while I was in college getting my bachelors degree, I actually subscribed for one of my finance classes and found the material super boring. I rarely ever read it! Fast forward almost a decade later, I am so passionate about this newspaper that I am one of those weird people that actually reads (almost) the entire thing. 

My favorite session of the paper is the “Money and Investing” session where I can read about different companies and what’s going on within their respective businesses. I feel that the Wall Street Journal brings a lot of value to investors because it actually has incredible, well researched, and well thought out articles that make us think and evaluate whether companies are on the right track or not. It can help you brainstorm new investing ideas, help you decide whether an idea you currently have may be a good one, or can assist in helping you identify whether a company you currently own is on the right track or not. Besides that, they obviously cover current events and is a perfect way to keep up with what’s going on in the world with a specialized focus on the financial markets, as it would be expected.





Finally, MONEY is another publication that made a “come back” in my personal preferences in terms of things to read. I used to subscribe back in 2006 and for some reason didn't find the articles very intriguing. However, I decided to give it a try again this past year (2014) and read pretty much every single issue for the year. Similar to Kiplinger, they offer personal finance and investing advice but I would say at a different angle. While I feel that the advise on Kiplinger magazine may be more ‘practical’ for the average individual; I feel that money magazine takes it a step further in terms of the information they provide and goes more in depth.  Nonetheless, they are both incredible publications which obviously made the cut here. It may simply be a matter of figuring out what you like best.



***

For all of the above recommendations, I am not telling you to run and pay for a subscription. Obviously, this is a money-mindful blog and to be quite honest I wouldn't tell you to spend the money until you are sure these publications are for you. I actually got myself a subscription to each and everyone of the mentioned publications for this new year 2015 and I am super excited to get my issues each month (or daily, which will be the case with the Wall Street Journal).

However, I’ll let you in a little secret—I actually spent the entire year 2014 either borrowing the publications from my local library or browsing through them at Barnes and Noble. I then decided that paying for a subscription would be very well worth the cost and a solid investment in my own financial growth and education as well the future of Teach Me To Invest, inc.; so I got myself subscription (WSJ was a gift actually, thank you-- you know who you are). 

Anyways, hope you found this article useful. As always, let me know if you have any questions or if you have your own personal favorites that you’d like to share.

Cheers to a prosperous 2015!

Mabel