Saturday, July 13, 2013

Lovin' Earnings Season

Hey everyone! I apologize as I've been neglecting the blog for a bit. Sometimes life events get in the way. But nonetheless, here I am to talk about one of my favorite times in the stock-market "cycle": Earnings Season!

So, why do I enjoy earnings season so much?! Well, is a time when the management of the beloved stocks in our portfolios or of the stocks in our radar get a chance to share with the whole world how the company is doing and how it has performed from one quarter to the next. I would say is kinda' like a report card which comes every 3 months and we get to see how wonderful (or maybe not so wonderfully) the companies where we have stocks are being managed (among other things). 

As I continue to target this blog to those with limited knowledge of the stock market I just want to add that earnings don't always have to do with bad management or good management. Some times is just a matter of competition among company (whats the "hot" new product), international issues that may affect the bottom line of a particular company, current homeland issues, among a gazillion other things. As I may have mentioned in the past, the market can tend to be a bit "emotional" from time to time and loves to fluctuate so, as long as you are invested in solid, strong companies for the long term and continue to be a value investor, you can sleep well at night.

I cheer with excitement when the stocks I own report amazing quarter results. Wish you could see the smile on my face as I sit in my office and get a random Bloomberg app announcement that a stock I may be watching had "better than expected results". Who doesn't love that?! 

However, remember that sometimes a "not so great" earnings results can also be an opportunity to buy new shares or something you've been watching for a while, add more shares to your current position and lower your cost basis. Or, simply keep building up your position. And if that particular company pays dividends, you can continue to enjoy the fruits of getting paid every 3 months while you wait for your beloved stock to bounce back (which is what I am doing with Coach at the current moment).

Here are the stocks on my radar for earnings season and their corresponding earning announcement dates:
**Please note this information was obtained from Yahoo! Finance so I am not 100% sure if its accurate. I received a notification that COH announced earnings this past week. However, the Yahoo! Finance date is different. I have to look in to this a little further. If anyone out there know where I can get more info on this please let me know. But for now, this is what I have. 

Company Earning Announcement
NWY (NY & Co)     8/12/2013

P&G
(Procter & Gamble)
8/1/2013
COH (Coach) 7/29/2013

CL
(Colgate)
7/25/2013

MMM
(3M)
7/25/2013

V
(VISA)
7/24/2013

MCD
(McDonalds)
7/22/2013

GOOG
(Google)
7/18/2013

VZ
(Verizon)
7/18/2013

JNJ
(Johnson & Johnson)
7/16/2013

KO
(Coca Cola)
7/16/2013


QUESTION: What companies interest you? whats on YOUR radar?